View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 03:35 PM

Hello to everyone here,

I have been 'lurking' on the board for a while now, although we have had lots of help from Alistair via PMs/calls, thanks again Alistair!

Well, I thought it was about time I posted to introduce us as my husband Dominic's surgery is coming up soon now.

Dominic has suffered with back pain for over 10 years. It has worsened over recent years and he has seen various consultants over nearly 3 years. He has tried all the physio, hydrotherapy type programmes and has had facet joint injections and a nerve root block injection. Nothing has helped.

He has DDD at L3/4 and L4/5. From his recent MRIs the lower level has really deteriorated over the 2 years since the first MRI scan to the point where ADR at this level is not now an option.

He is due to have surgery with Mr Lam on Monday 20th, he is going to have a hybrid operation of a fusion at L4/5 and a ProDisc ADR at L3/4.

I know this is the right thing for him and I am very confident in Mr Lam. I have been reassured by seeing Mr Lam on tv recently and from reading all the posts here from other patients of his but I can't help feeling worried sick about the whole thing.

I want to be strong for my husband and for my son who is almost 2 but I am very nervous. Dominic is nervous but he is also very excited, he feels that this is going to be a new beginning for him and he is looking forward to all the things he will be able to do without pain once he is recovered. He has worked really hard in the run up to the op and he is in really good shape, lost weight, is fit and well. I am proud of him.

How can I help myself to calm down so that I can help him? And does anyone have any practical tips for the whole process? We will all be travelling down to London from Cheshire on Sunday and staying down there for the time he is in the hospital. Fortunately my mother is coming with us to help with my little boy so that I can be at the hospital as much as necessary.

Thanks to everyone for making this forum such a welcoming and supportive place.

Thoughts and prayers to Lynsey whose bravery has inspired me to post at last! I hope she is doing well.

Best regards

Sarah
Diagnosed DDD L3-4, L4-5, sacralisation of L5-S1.
ADR Prodisc L3-4, fusion (femoral ring allogra