View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Bennie did not have the chance to post this, so here is his introduction. I hope his visit went well, as his situation is very stressful and difficult. Wishing you well, Bennie!

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am meeting with my spinal surgeon again tomorrow, Dr. Robert Byers in Greenbrae, Marin County (Golden Gate Bridge). Looks like I will be having disc replacement surgery as soon as my insurance approves it. Had discogram/Ct-Scan 3 weeks ago. I have been in pain since I fell down the stairs 3 years ago. The pain is so intense...it's barely tolerable. I have been taking pain meds (oxycodone, morphine, duiladid, fentanyl patch...) since the fall. Eventually I became dependent and had to detox -I was home 8 days detoxing - it was awful, then check into Domus Retreat in Anaheim Hills. I was off meds for 6 months but started to take percocet (10/325) just a couple of weeks ago. The pain is too intense at this point. I have it undercontrol - I would never want to go through the process of detoxing again.

Can you suggest to me some questions I should ask my doctor at the appointment tomorrow?
I am very scared about this surgery because Dr. is going through abdomen. I had a minor surgery last year. I was in hospital for 3 days afterward because of abdomen pain then I was sent home after doctor said "you're being too sensitive to pain - we are in need of beds so you need to go home". 2 days later I was in the ER with massive internal bleeding. The doctor had knicked a vein during the surgery. I lost 2 liters of blood and doc told my family that he did not know if I was going to make it. I was in hospital for a month. My left lung, ovaries, right kidney, liver, small intestine were damaged because the blood ended up by coagulating on my organs. I was on a 6-minute diladid pump the entire time I was in the hospital. It took 9 months for my body to reabsorb the coagulated blood and recover. So although my spinal surgeon is one of the top surgeons in the Bay area, I am scared to have this surgery. Any words of advice??

Thank you for your advice, help, suggestions...
Bennie
Reborn June 25th, 2004, L5-S1 ADR Charite in Boston
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate