View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 07:29 AM

Hi Wayne:

Welcome to the support group though, unfortunate that you two have to be here at all. Most of us have been on this same journey for some time. Most of my adult life has been plagued with spinal issues. I also had the AC joint in my shoulder repaired after a bicycle/dog collision. It sounds like Becky is fixable but the idea of waiting may not be the most sound depending on her age. The FDA takes years to approve anything as you may be aware. The Charite disc was finally approved for one level lumbar replacement in 2004 and they finally approved the Prestige disc for cervical one level replacement some months back. Most insurance companies are still considering disc replacement as experimental and investigational and are not covering the cost of the surgery. If Becky is getting spinal injections I would be concerned with the long-term effects of the injection material. She will know when the pain is enough and life seems not worth living as the pain robs her from the joy of life. Many of us have been there. Your biggest task is to support her in the process as it is difficult to understand when not having been there yourself. You will find a lot of research here and postings from others who have gone through many different procedures to get our spinal disease under control. If you need anything please let us know. Most of us here are more than happy to help out our fellow person struggling with the same issues.

Hang in there.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5