Thread: bicycling
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 04:59 PM

Hi Jane:

I have ridden a bicycle since being a kid. I had a serious accident as a kid and did not ride for a few years. Then I picked it up again while still a kid and have never stopped.

The risks I took as a younger man I would not do anymore. Like riding 3,000 miles across the U.S. in 1982 without a helmet on. I go nowhere without a helmet anymore. I was involved in an instantaneous accident about 10 years ago where I rounded a corner, hit a patch of sand, and went down for the count. I lost a lot of skin but suffered no head injury due to wearing a helmet. My head hit the pavement so hard that, even with a helmet on, I saw stars. Someone would be changing my diapers today had I not wore a helmet.

Most sports have an element of risk. I still love the feeling of the wind going through my hair and, with the new, better helmets of today I can still feel the wind and know my head is protected.

I had 4 discs replaced in November last year which is 9 months ago. I have over 1,200 miles ridden so far and am shooting for over 2,000 miles. Bicycling sure has helped the pre-surgery time and post-surgery recuperation.

Try riding a bicycle some distance Jane and hopefully the biking bug will bite you. My best riding buddy is 71 years old and I turned 50 this year. I hope to ride till old, old age and still feel the magic of the wind through my hair.

Good-luck and I hope you find the sport that will create magic for you.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5