View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 07:01 PM

With a fusion, the doc takes out the disc, saws off the osteophytes, puts in bone from either your hip or a cadaver, and places a plate and screws in your neck. I know your surgery is different, but if it includes plates and screws, you'll be 'out of commission' for awhile, but not necessarily permanently, at all. You may very well be able to return to playing softball - I'm guessing about a year after the surgery (probably not what you want to hear). You'd get more accurate information from your doc, but this is my best guess. My ADR surgery was much less invasive, and I'm at about 5-1/2 months, but I wouldn't be able to play softball yet because the running, jarring the spine would not be good for me (but I did have 3 levels done, not one). So... I wouldn't throw those cleats away - hang them up where you can see them every day to inspire you to get better and back to the sport you love!
Onset of severe fibromyalgia in 6/95, undiagnosed for 2 years while lived in UK
About 1998 o