View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 09:04 AM

Hi Tami. I've been through 2 neck surgeries at 4 different levels total - a fusion and then a 3 level ADR. My body seems to like to develop these osteophyte complexes, too. Charming. Anyway, after both surgeries I had significant improvement in the tingling and pain that came from my neck into the arms/hands/fingers. Before the last surgery (ADR on 3/23/07) my neural foraminal stenosis was at the worst level severe, with gross cord compression, flattening of the thecal sac, etc. My arm and hand symptoms have been slowly improving - you probably know that nerves improve slowly and it can take up to 2 years for maximum improvement. I also have two other contributors to arm and hand pain which have nothing to do with my neck, neuropathy and bilateral cubital tunnel syndrome, but I think I have some idea which types of pain come from my neck and which come from the other contributors. Long story short - I'm pretty sure you will note significant improvement in your upper extremity symptoms after a decompressive surgery. If arthritis runs in your family and you have it at other levels in your spine, I would recommend strongly than you look into ADR over fusion. My fusion caused 3 other levels to 'blow' in my neck within 2 years, necessitating surgical repair - but I already had arthritis throughout my spine and it runs in both sides of my family. Most people don't deteriorate or get the adjacent level syndrome so fast - mine started I think about 6 to 9 months after the fusion and progressed very fast. Wouldn't want this to happen to you and it's pretty disappointing after a big surgery to find out you need another even bigger surgery - but if your spine is in good shape and arthritis is not a big factory in your genetic makeup, you could well be one of those people who has a fusion and is great, hauling logs and chopping trees down until you're 80! Sure hope you find relief, one way or the other.
Onset of severe fibromyalgia in 6/95, undiagnosed for 2 years while lived in UK
About 1998 o