View Single Post
Old 03-01-2006, 04:41 PM

One thing I was able to do was save up as I had about 8 months advance notice. I was able to save my tax return and a couple of hundred dollars every month. I had saved up about 7000 dollars that way between me and my significant other. Then I refinanced my house as the interest rate had dropped and cashed out about 15K and borrowed a little bit more from my 401K to cover the rest of my expenses. They do take
credit cards too, for the most part, so if you aren't already maxed out that is another option.

I was lucky though, as I usually do get a big tax return and I also dropped the amount to the minimum to get my company match that I put into my 401k and saved that money each month too.

I had just purchased a new car before I found out about ADR and the associated costs and had considered trading it in for an el cheapo car until I could get my finances together.

Just a couple more ideas, everyone's situation is so different. As far as your kids, I guess it helps if you have family/friends to fall back on. Maybe they could spend a few days with some of their friends each. My mother who is semi-retired went with me to NY for 10 days while my partner stayed at home with our daughter. It is not easy but I guess we all have to get out of our comfort zone some as this is still not a fully accepted surgery here in the U.S.

Good luck!

Feeling great!