View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 11:10 AM

Hi,
I just found the site and wanted to sya hi and ask a question.
I had a bilateral disectomy and nerve root decompression at L4/L5 and L5/S1 8 weeks ago after 2 years of problems with prolapsed discs at both levels which didn't respond to any conventional treatment such as physio and chiropractic.

For the first couple of weeks I had quite a lot of sciatica as a result of the surgery. This settled down and by 4 or 5 weeks post surgery I had no sciatica at all. I've started to do walk a little again and do normal things like go shopping although my standing time is limited by lower back pain if I am up for too long. I started physio 2 1/2 weeks ago.
About 1 1/2 weeks ago (about 6/7 weeks post surgery) I started getting a little sciatica again, which is getting a little worse now, although it isn't as bad as before the surgery. I was wondering if anyone knows whether this is normal and is cause I have been trying to do too much or if it is something I should be conserned about. I'm not due to see my surgen for another month or 2, and because of the way it works in England I can't just phone and make an appoinment or speak to my surgeon.
Has anyone had a similar experiance and do I need to worry about this and get my regular doctor to speak to my surgeon?

Louise
About 2 years ago I started having lower back pain which gradually got worse. A couple of months later I walked across a field at a show carrying my sister's saddle and walked back, then couldn't stand up because of the sciatica. I ended up in ER whe