View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 10:55 PM

Default !

I think your doctor nailed it with at least one option and that is live with and be in a drugged stupor the rest of your life, or as I did, get the ADR's. I have L3-4 and L4-5 with the Maverick disc done in Stenum in Germany. My other option here in the states was fusion. I know 3 people with multi level fusion that aren't doing well at all with two of them having to have it redone and all three still in much pain and doped out on drugs.

It seems very difficult to get more than one level done here in the States and insurance wont cover it. Not many surgeons that experienced in doing one level not to mention two level here. They've been doing multi level in Europe for a long time and are good at it. Pretty much all the discs if placed correctly will not move. I chose the Maverick because it is metal on metal and the disc has a keel that is inserted into your vertabra in a slot that is cut. Also, I believe it is the best on the market right now.

I am back at work as a captain for american airlines and I ride the bike, do a lot of walking and isometric and some weights. One guy that had the same levels done as I, is a weight lifter, body builder/trainer. I talked with him in November and he was squatting over 300 pounds 10 months after his operation. (I cringe when I think of it).

Anyway, ask questions about everything. There are so many opinions on this site and also research both pro and con. You have to sort thru all of it and make some decision. For me, I knew that fusion was definitely out if I ever wanted to go back to flying.

I hope you will find your answer.

Mark
Multiple facet blocks and epidurals
L5-S1 annular tear 8-08 lased with ELD
October 08 back to work