View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 01:18 PM

Default Fusion lasts for a lifetime

Arabella,

Yes, a fusion will last for a lifetime. Once the bone grows over and fuses, it is just as strong as a regular bone in your body. You say you are scared of ADR because it is major surgery, but fusion is just as major and takes longer to heal from (and has more post-op pain as well). I know because I have had both done on my spine, and the ADR was easier to heal from and no more of a major surgery. There have been some unsuccessful outcomes on this website from ADR, but the same can be said for fusion. Did you know that studies show the long-term success rate for fusion (this is going back over 50 years) is only 60% or so??

You need to make an informed decision and I am not telling you what to do or not do, but I would not rule out ADR because it is major surgery or you are afraid. ANY spine surgery is major surgery, there is no way around it. I don't think you have any worse chance of success with ADR than you do with fusion, and your young age should not be a factor---there are people on this board as young as 22 that have had ADR surgery.
DDD confirmed via discogram at L4/L5 & L5/S1 (with issues at L3/L4 but no concordant pain) 3/06
Failed SED (Laser Endoscopic surgery) 4/06
2 level ADR (L4-L5 & L5-S1) with Maverick disc at Stenum 8/06
XLIF Fusion (L3/L4) 9/08