View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 07:23 PM

Default Newbie - devastated and confused.. need help.

Hello,
I am a newbie on this forum. After reading many threads here, I decided to post for the 1st time and hopefully someone will be kind enough to assist me.

I live in Phoenix, AZ. I have been diagnosed with at least 2 level of cervical DDD, including spondylosis, stenosis and bulging discs. The discs are compressing my spinal cord. I was really devastated given my young age. Not sure how it got to this point especially I had no previous injuries or accidents.

I saw a local surgeon and he recommended 2- to 3-level ACDF when time comes. After reading many threads here, it seemed like ACDF is a very scary treatment and has its disadvantages. I am going to see Dr. Delemarter (in LA) in the coming weeks for a second opinion.

I work for a company whos medical insurance is self funded and is managed by Mountain States Administrative Services using BCBS of AZ network. The review board is done by American Health Group.

Here are my questions:
1) Do any of you know of any AZ surgeons do multi-level disc replacements?
2) Do you have any encounters with this insurance administrator and American Health Group?
3) I read a lot of the horror stories about the insuranec denials on this forum, when should I start prepare the appeal letter?
4) How much will it cost me (roughly) if I choose to have a 2- or 3-level ADR surgery in Germany?
5) Do you have any other suggestions what I should do?

Thank you so much for your kind help. I appreciate it.

I also posted on the Insurance Hell section because there is a question about insurance.

LK