View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 03:39 PM

Default Newbie checking in - C56 & C67

Hi All,
Been lurking here for a year, making up my mind, and really trying to avoid this decision. But C5-7 is bad (both levels) and to the point that my Neuro refuses to do a lumbar tap on me as the stenosis is flattening the cord blah blah blah (you all have heard that litany before, I'm sure). So I've known it was coming while we tried alternative treatment and PT, but the last 6 mos I've just gotten worse and worse. I have numbness, tingles, poor coordination, gait issues, and have started losing strength and the local doc offered a hybrid with potentially an off label on the 2nd level. But I'm hesitant as he has done about 70 singles, but didn't quote me a number on the hybrid or multi level, and the only disc available is the Prodisc (he feels the prestige is too bulky). I'd love to take the easy route and say yes, but in my heart I know the newer implants have improved a lot of stuff and ultimately I want someone familiar with multi level surgery in my neck, rather than someone who says 'lets do this' but doesn't have the multiple previous attempts to back it up. <sigh>. So like many, I am looking abroad, and frankly the out of pocket abroad doesn't look that different than the out of pocket portion of the surgery here. Sad to say that one, but oh well. Better surgery is really the motivator anyway.

Overall, I'm 46, 6 ft tall, 210 lbs. I ski, bike, and hike, and this year won't be doing any of these, as they light my symptoms off badly. Honestly, I've had the issue for years, I just think age and mileage caught up with me, and pushed past the next threshold, and I'm unwilling to let it get worse, which is suddenly is doing this year.

Not too much else to say, other than at the moment I am looking at Stenum, like many others here. I don't know if they are the best, but they are more experienced than what is available to me in the states, and like many vendors, have worked to get a good reputation and will hopefully work to maintain it. I agree with some earlier comments I saw that they seem to market, but that may not be a truely bad thing. But I'm rambling.

Thanks to all of you for the posts I've read here the last year making up my mind. I'll keep you posted as it proceeds.

Regards
Dave

Finally diagnosed with DDD in Sept, 2009 via MRI
C4/5 C5/6 C6/7 with Extrusion at C6/7, we're just not looking at the lumbar yet...

Stuck with United Hell-Care

Nov. 09 - Well, my films are everywhere, really hoping to hear from Dr B. Local guy will do ProDisc hybrid with off label 2nd disc, but I want a little more experience and disc choices in the mix.