Thread: Hi everyone
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry F View Post
If I had to guess, a new discogram will probably look much like the old one; and Dr. Blumenthal will suggest a combination of a new disk and a fusion. At that point, I will have to decide if this is the best option for me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.
Having never had lumbar problems I don't have much knowledge of those procedures. If you do decide on lumbar ADR, I would encourage you to carefully research the different artificial discs that are out there. Discover the problems unique to each device, the problems that each device was developed to address, determine the effects of an adjacent fusion on each device, what is the expected longevity of each device with the type of wear and tear that you intend to subject it to, etc... My experience with cervical ADR is that a doctor will offer only one or two devices, requiring you to select one of those. I suspect the same is true of lumbar ADR.

Selecting the right device for you is, or at least should be, a very big decision. It took me almost a year and a half of research to decide which disc was best for me and then to determine the best place to have them implanted. I sincerely hope that your outcome is as good as mine.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011