View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 10:48 PM

Default newbie- fusion or adr?

Hi- 4 years ago I hurt my back at work, and tried to work thru it. I'm a construction electrician so it is a very physical job. I nursed along on the job until I was asked to go home and rest my back.(on my insurance) After explaining how I needed their workmens comp, I was laid off. when I tried regular work again my back gave out and all I could do was look at the carpet face first.

6 months later workmens comp approved it and I got nerve ablations and epidurrals and all sorts of narcotics, but nothing helped much. Workmens comp sent me to their doc and he thought a microdiscectomy would help, so I got that. Went back to work 6 months later and after 4 days of a shovel and pickaxe, I reherniated my back again. New mri showed it and was sent for a discography which showed l4-l5 as leaking and l5 si just oozed out as there was nothing left of it. 2 discs bad.

Dr graf recommended posterior spinal fusion of l4-s1. Got a second opinion at rush in chicago, and dr deutsch recommende a charite at l5s1. He thought discographies were inaccurate and he made his conclusions based on mri and workup. Now I'm very confused. Have been approved for either, and I just have to make up my mind. Any thought are appreciated.

So I just wanted to say hi to all and tell my story here. Kevin