View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 06:23 PM

Default New Member: Carla

Hello to all,

I had a 3 level fusion (c 5/6/7) about 10 years ago with good outcome. Even so, I have to rank the pain post-op from this surgery as being a 10+. Not a good memory.

5 years ago, I injured my L5-S1 disc and so utilized all conservative treatments, combined with pain management, since then. I finally went back to my reputable spine surgeon, (who has a fellowship in spine surgery.) His professional opinion is that I am a perfect candidate for an artificial disc replacement (ADR).

However, my current insurance will not cover this surgery as they believe it is "experimental." They will pay for another fusion, though.

I am not interested in another fusion... given the stats for the "domino effect" in fused spines, I do not wish to end up with a completely fused back and lose function. I love to sail, swim, hike, garden and travel, so I want to preserve function as I age.

My husband's employer offers multiple insurance plans, and allows employees to change plans every October and become effective in January. One of the plans offered will cover the ADR surgery, so the game plan is to switch plans and then have the surgery in January, 2011.

Pre-existing conditions does not apply since it is the same employer. Silly that patients have to consider creative problem solving to get their spine needs met.

For the rest of the year, I will take it easy and hope my symptoms do not get worse while I wait. I found this website forum while doing some ADR research.

Regards,

1980 car accident neck
1980-1998 PT, Chiro, ESI, conservative treatments
1998 C-5/6/7 fusion
2005 injury L5-S1
2005-9 Dx with DDD, Osteoarthritis
2005-11 PT, ESI's, conservative treatments
2011 L5-S1 Prodisc ADR in January