View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 05:43 PM

As I suspected, user error. I'm going to try again

I had my ADR May 4, 2010 @ Cedars Sinai via a study to approve the Freedom disc. I received the control Prodisc. Though I've had a tough road (who hasn't!) I am extremely grateful!

Placement was L5 S1, my condition was a tear on my disc to the nucleus which was leaking fluid causing great pain w inflammation. This happened Jan 20, 2010. I was born w severe scoliosis, but it was caught wk 1 of my life,my mom was sent to a orthopedic Dr who gave her exercises to perform for 2 yrs & my spine became straight beyond his dreams, but he promised pelvic problems would arise thru my life. By 15 they were there but situational & tolerable. The disc that tore was very flat & herniated for many yrs, but I was very lucky to have mild symptoms till the tear. I'm now diagnosed w DDD & have 4 other herniations in both lumbar & thoracic, I am told they are mild herniations.

The first 3 wks post surgery I battled severe gastritis and 2 root canals, severly infected from clenching my teeth from the pain. Too many antibiotics led to a severe case of thrush which I'm told will take a long time to be rid of.

I started pysical therapy 2 mo post surgery. My back pain decreased but my sacro/iliac area has become intensely painful. My experienced PT has seen this multiple Xs as my pelvic bone is 1 1/2" higher on left & turned out.

I returned to my surgeon for my 3 mo post appt. My PT notes were sent ahead of time with a request to look for arthritis & with his opinion on current problem. My surgeon saw my discomfort & said he wanted me to stop PT & pain meds to see if I get better. He did not look at PT notes, at least not in front of me. I left the office feeling in my gut he was wrong, but I followed his instruction. In 48 hrs I was bedridden & stayed that way falling down a black hole of agony for 10 days. I could take no more, & a horrible tooth ache brought me back to pain meds. Barely able to walk, I got in forva PT appt which brought great relief. Next a dental appt & an ensuing 3rd root canal performed yesterday. I have left 2 messages & 1 detailed email to my surgeon telling him of my condition, the only response is from his PA saying they would discuss it & get back to me...nothing else.

My question is are there other ADR patients who are still on pain meds after 3 months post-op? I understand Drs fear of their patients becoming addicts, but I have never been addicted to ANYTHING in my 49 yrs of life. I've investigated addiction to death via Internet, and don't believe that is my condition as I am taking lowest dosage possible of vicodin 2-3 Xs a day. Without it I can't even manage the smallest of activities.

Please tell me if any of you have had a similar experience after surgery.

Thank you for reading, Anne Marie