View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 07:32 PM

Default Hello All - 3 degenerative discs from S1 to L3

Hello all, at 40 I have recently been diagnosed as having 3 degenerative discs from S1 to L3 and since June of this year have had three events/injuries that have taken me out for a week or more at a time. My last was Tuesday of last week, taken out by a sneeze. This is the second one generated by a sneeze.

S1/L5 is nearly bone on bone, L5/L4 is torn and bulging on both sides, L4/L3 is somewhere in the middle .. degenerated with mild bulge.

All told I've been unable to work for over 5 weeks off and on with a considerably diminished home life due to this condition.

While looking for some information and direction I found your forum and hope to learn more about my condition and possible remedies. So far the outlook I've read about is not heartening.

I recently had an epidural about three weeks ago. It brought considerable relief but I was feeling stiff and uneasy the day of this last event. I was on track to start physical therapy in about a week.

From what I've read on some posts I may well not be at the surgery stage yet, but am hoping to learn about all my options and frankly to learn more about how to cope with this condition, even basic issues like how in the heck to deal with the next sneeze!

Hope to learn more, thank you in advance for any suggestions and information you can provide.

-James