View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 10:09 AM

Money aside, I felt very good about Nick Boeree in the UK. With my mild scoliosis and mild facet degeneration, I had a lot of questions and concerns. Dr Bertagnoli and Clavel both quickly dismissed these concerns - a little more quickly than I was comfortable.
Unfortunately, I have 4 different recommendations at this point:
USA surgeon: (US FDA rules and poor insurance coverage limit options) Fusion L5-S1 plus Charite L4-5 (Cost: not even worth asking about if insurance doesn't pay. I'll go overseas if that's the case)
Dr Clavel: 2 level M6 L4-S1 $40,123 US dollars (hotel included)
Dr. Boeree: Fusion L5-S1 plus 2 level M6 $37,543 US dollars (no hotel)
Dr Bertagnoli: 3 level Prodisc for about $60,000 US dollars (hotel included)

Side note: Nick Boeree had a fee for the phone consultation that was VERY much worth the money. Even if I don't end up in the UK, it was very informative and helped me wrap my head around many issues.
My thoughts: If you don't have any contraindications to ADR, and several opinions come back with the same recommendations, any of these surgeons (and more) are highly qualified. With my boarderline problems and questionable good candidacy for ADR, I got a great feel about Nick Boeree's opinion. He really talked through it with me and did not have his mind made up until doing so.

Like I said earlier, still waiting on an opinion from Dr Pimenta in Brazil. I have read he is excellent, experienced, and has a wide range of options. I have yet to find anything remotely negative on him PLUS reports are that his prices are significantly lower. The exchange rate between US dollars and the Brazilian Real is very much in my favor right now.

So for me.... I'm holding out another couple of weeks before deciding. If my insurance will pay, I'll get the work done locally, but if not, the UK is the best option right now. I would definitely get some more opinions than just one outside of your country. That is a lot of money, and you're right - you only have one back and often times, only one chance at getting this right.
http://healthyback2011.blogspot.com/