View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 10:35 PM

Default New guy considering ADR

I'm new. I was in a major auto accident in 2002 and two others in 2009. Stopped working in 2007. I applied for Social Security and Medicare in 8/2011 and just submitted my first appeal. I should have applied earlier.

I"m in enormous pain, spend most of my time in bed and have pretty much disconnected socially. Of course, I have no insurance.

A surgeon ordered a discogram of S1/L5, L5/L4, and L4/L3, but I have not gotten it yet because: no insurance, he doesn't participate in medicare, he doesn't participate in clinical trials. He says, however, I probably need S1/L5 and L5/L4 fused and probably need some sort of surgery on my neck. My neck and midback MRIs are old (2007).

I would like to do ADR b/c I've read that the long-term success rate is better than disc fusion. Oh, yes; I'm a 39 year old man.

I've read that there are first generation ADR discs and 2nd-gen discs and that the 2nd gen discs are better because they have rubbery shock absorbers. Unfortunately, I also read that two-level clinical trials for the 2nd-gen discs are 2 to 3 years away.

I don't even have Social Security Disability and Medicare yet, but I wonder if I can tolerate the pain another 2 to 3 years. BTW, I'm aware there is a two-year wait for Medicare after going on S.S. Disability, but I'm trying to get my benefits back-dated to 2007.

SO, I HAVE 2 QUESTIONS:

1. Are people like me who need 2-level fusion -
a) waiting for the 2nd-gen discs to be offered for 2-levels in clinical trials, or
b) are they getting the 1st-gen discs at both levels, or
c) are they getting fusion at one level and ADR (1st or 2nd gen) at the other?

2. Do you have any suggestions for how to better organize and portray relevant info in my signature that attaches at the bottom of each post?

Thanks!
Plan: Trying to see spine surgeon at charity hospital, further diagnosis. Evaluate for S.I. joint fusion and lumbar and cervical fusions/ADR.