View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 05:45 PM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenniskid View Post
Hello mate. I am sorry to hear about your pain and the lack of resources available to you. I just wanted to send my best wishes out to you and hope that they backdate your entitlements to 2007. That will most definitely give you more options.

While I am not in the same system as you, i can relate to the myriad of considerations you'll need to weigh up in getting the right treatment for you. I think the best thing is that it comes down to what you can afford and what is available to you now. I have been in a bedridden state for most of 2011 and I was just exceptionally lucky I found an amazing surgeon in my city. There was no way I could get on a plane or even a cab. So I got the best that was offered to me at the time. Life is about living.

Regarding the different discs available, there are certainly excellent ones available with shock absorbing qualities etc., but if your only option is to get a first gen disc if won't necessarily mean you will get a bad outcome and the same can be said for fusion surgery. One important thing I have learned is that everyone recovers differently and your diagnosis and recovery from surgery will be different from other patients. The best thing to do is to get informed on the various discs, doctors and treatments available to you. Find a surgeon whom you have absolute confidence in. It took me a long time and time spent in hospital before I found mine.

The disc for me is secondary to that. For me the main concerns i had with my disc was safety, durability and impact on surrounding structures given my particular diagnosis.

Take care. All the best in your journey.
Thanks for the response. Your advice about looking for a good surgeon is very helpful!
Plan: Trying to see spine surgeon at charity hospital, further diagnosis. Evaluate for S.I. joint fusion and lumbar and cervical fusions/ADR.