View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the extra detail. It sounds like you're definitely on the right track for healing. With my own surgery, I was in the hospital 3 days before they released me but was up walking the day after.

I was told that I should avoid sitting in a regular chair-type position for more than 15 minutes at a time as sitting is actually one of the worst things for your lower back especially if you don't have the proper support for your back while doing it. Walking was one of the best things I could do especially in early recovery. I took to walking around the house as much as possible because it was summer and crazy hot out at the time.

I found that I actually couldn't sit for a full 15 minutes without feeling really achy until sometime between the end of the 1st month post-op to the end of the 2nd month post-op. What I wound up doing at home in order to sit up more was actually create a pillow recliner on my couch. I piled up a few throw pillows to prop myself up but not fully upright and lounged on the couch. This made it possible for me to watch TV, work on my cross stitch projects and play video games to occupy my time.

I was out on medical leave for about 3 months and going back to the office was tough. I had to make sure I got up to walk regularly because sitting was still uncomfortable. Standing was much better than pre-op but not 100% ok yet. Before I went back to work, I did drive myself over to my fitness center and walk around their indoor track a few times to get longer walks in. The best was when I was back at work though. At the time, I got tons of walking in just getting to/from work and around the office due to my job.

You may still ache for months before it goes away save a few flare ups here and there. If your surgery was successful, I wouldn't expect to feel even close to 100% until you get closer to a full year post-op. While I felt great after the initial three months, that was mostly in comparison to how I felt pre-op. I still had to be careful and take it easy from time to time to make sure I didn't cause myself a set-back.

Now, at more than 3 yrs post-op, I've done some stuff I probably wouldn't have been able to do so easily pre-op... like move approx 90 computer setups in 1.5 weeks solo or walk nearly 60 miles in 3 days. That latter one, had my calves/ankles/shins not acted up I probably would have gotten all 60 miles of the event.

As you've probably been told numerous times, take it easy and go slow. Slow may mean practically stopped depending on just how active you're used to being. It will drive you nuts, but keep in mind that everyone's body heals differently and at a different pace.

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!