View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Don't feel too bad I don't think you would have found the U.S. surgeries outside your area to be cost competitive with Europe.
An indirect cost for me is the logistics of being so far away for two weeks. I have two young kids so leaving them is complicated. That made me hesitate for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Part of the problem with the U.S. system is the ridiculous charges various providers make to each other. I had a discogram done through TBI for $3,000. Which was a lot but it wasn't killer. When I got invoiced the anesthesiologist tried to charge me $17,000 for 1/2 general anesthetic - when I called them up they said it was their standard rate (I won in the end BTW and only paid the $1,500 that I owed them). It's just crazy...
I didn't know how much of a hassle is to deal with medical billing and the negotiation aspects of health care. The experience feels similar to buying a car. I was oblivious to all this because, up until now, I would use insurance.

My insurance would actually cover a ProDisc if in network. I contacted Synthes patient assistance and they helped to look for doctors in my network. However, there was only one Doctor in my network and I wasn't comfortable with his experience level.

BTW,this month's Time magazine has a in depth article about the economics of our health care.

Pretty good read:
Inside ‘Bitter Pill’: Steven Brill Discusses His TIME Cover Story | TIME.com