View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 01:34 PM

Mike L., nice to meet you. I am glad to hear your arthroscopic hip repair went so well. That's great to hear! Unfortunately, I already had that procedure done 2 years ago by the top doctor in my area and have not had the relief that I so wanted. That was my other option was to have that done again (by different surgeon down at Mayo), or the hip replacement. But this doc and I both agreed I didn't have good success with the last arthroscopic one, so we're opting for the "big gun," if you will. I'm just so burned on having a bad hip all this time and feel like I have lost so much good living time, that I don't want to take a chance on another arthroscopic repair. That's just me and where I am at, at this point in time. I am 56 and not getting any younger. I really want to live, and ski, and exercise and embrace life like I haven't in a long time. I'm overdue.

Yes, Liz, I have heard of infamous 5-level Fred! Cheers to him! We must have been related in another life!
I know the skiing is not highly recommended after a hip replacement but I know a number of folks way older than me that ski with theirs. And some of them are back doing the black diamonds. I will gladly settle for greens and a few blue runs. I'm into longevity.
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!