View Single Post
Old 05-10-2016, 10:38 PM

Default Glucosomine and chondroitin

I have been looking into Glucosomine and chondroitin recently, not for myself but for my dogs, a Bullmastiff and a English Mastiff both prone to hip and leg problems due to their size (BM @ 120lbs EM to be circa 220 lbs). I posted on a mastiff forum and got one response that made me look into Glucosomine and chondroitin a bit closer for my dogs. I do not know how or even if it's applicable to humans.

"Also just to add, glucosamine sulfate is more absorbable form of the product. *Plus, When mixed with chondroitin it is not as easily absorbed. *Glucosamine itself is more for peripheral joints (hyalin) cartilage, and chondroitin is more for discs in the spine and the pelvis at the pubis (fibrous cartilage). *So if you are trying to target an area you can choose which of the two is appropriate. **

If you find that your dog responds well to the glucosamine products combined with chondroitin or not, the dogs blood sugar should be looked at. *Glucosamine which turns into cartilage is a byproduct of HEALTHY glucose metabolism. *Thus if the the pups glucose is stable the products really do not help. *Hope this helps!"

The last part about blood sugar is something Ive never heard of but something I'll be looking into. Also, from what I have determined is that glucosamine by itself is relatively inexpensive, it's when you start adding chondrotin and other things like vitamins that it gets expensive.