View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 11:40 AM

Default New member seeking advice regarding DDD in Lumbar spine

Hello all,
I'm not sure I'm really "new" at this point (I discovered this site in the August-September timeframe last year, and have been a registered member since October 2015), but this is the first time I'm actively reaching out for input and advice instead of just reading the various discussion threads. I recognize most members are not medical doctors, but during the countless hours I've spent reading the various threads, I've developed an impression that there are some really knowledgeable and experienced members that can be a great resource.

I'm a 54 year old male that has lived a very active lifestyle (little league baseball & soccer, trained karate on-and-off since the age of 12, running, biking, tennis, racquetball, etc.), and now I'm starting to pay for it.

Last Summer I started having debilitating back pain with radiculopathy causing sciatic pain and "foot drop" in my right leg. In August, I had an MRI which revealed the following:

FINDINGS: Alignment is normal. There is mild to moderate L3-L4, severe L4-L5, and mild L5-S1 disc degeneration. Conus medullaris is normal residing at T12. There are no pars defects. Bone marrow signal is notable for mild type 2 endplate reactive changes at L4-L5.

L1-L2: Normal
L2-L3: Tiny midline protrusion.
L3-L4: Disc bulge and small midline protrusion resulting in mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing, but no canal stenosis or nerve root impingement.
L4-L5: Disc bulge with moderate superimposed right lateral protrusion resulting in severe right and mild to moderate left neural foraminal narrowing but no canal stenosis. Protrusion impinges the right foraminal L4 nerve root.
L5-S1: Tiny midline protrusion.

Question for you all: I'm I screwed? Is the assessment above really bad, not so bad, etc.? Am I looking at 3-level disc replacement? What is the frequency of autofusion? Any input, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I've attached an X-ray from last August that was taken shortly before the MRI was performed.
Thanks,
BIB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lumbar Spine (August 2015).jpg (97.7 KB, 27 views)
Aug 2015 - X-Ray & MRI show DDD at L3/L4, L4/L5, and L5/S1, with severe herniation and loss of disc height at L4/L5.
Sept 2015 - Two epidural cortisone injections at L4/L5.
Apr 2019 - Updated x-rays & MRI show further deterioration of discs from L3-S1, with bone-on-bone at L4/L5.
June 2019 - Three level ADR scheduled