View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 05:17 PM

I really dont want to get in the middle of a political debate here but I do have some info on hospital costs etc.
When I talked to TBI about my ADR they told me the cash cost for two levels was $53K. They also told me that was a discounted cost that the surgeons and hospital had worked together at the time for those who did not have insurance coverage for the procedure.
They also told me that if insurance had been billed it would have cost over $100K. So yes I believe that it would cost 70K for hand surgery as its a very complicated microscopic procedure.
In fact my son had a similar accident over 10 years ago and had to have 3 fingers either reattached partially, wholly or stitched and tendons and muscles reattached. Then it was over 50K and that was over 10 years ago.
I am not a fan of Michael Moore but do believe that our health care in this country truly stinks and that reform is needed. Is governmental take over the answer? I dont think so but do know that people in other countries get much better care than we do here. We have seen this on this board time and again from those who have gone from the US for treatment and also from those who have been citizens of other countries who got ADR without having all the fall de rall we have to go through to get coverage or in my case denied til I didnt have a choice anymore. SIGH
And as far as the statement that folks with cancer have more presedence than we do as spineys I respectfully disagree. I have become disabled due to my condition at age 46 I had a thriving professional practice that I have had to give up due to this.
I feel that anyone should be able to have some control over what they want done to their body medically! It should be between us and our physicians. As far as ADR goes, there is over 20 years of study and tracking in Europe. FDA has approved it. It should be available to us!
Insurance has gotten to the point that they DICTATE even the medications that they will let us have on our policies.
Since when do beaurocrats know what I need to take? I feel it should be left to us and our physicians.
I was not going to post here but I have to now as its gotten really bad.
Evaluated by Dr Blumenthal at TBI
2/2005 ADR 2 level recommended
2 level lumbar fusion