View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 11:45 AM

You've have asked questions that are difficult to give a satisfactory answer for as far as recovery goes due to it being so individualized. I will try to answer questions on a personal recovery level. The hotels are better left to someone who know's the area.

I had two discs replaced in my neck and two in my lumbar area. If I had just had the neck done, I believe I could have gone home within about four to five days. I also flew coach when going home but they accomadated me by putting me by the bulkhead to give me more leg room. This was precipitated by a letter from the hospital stating what I had done. I was also on pain medication and Ativan to control anxiety and help me sleep. In other words I was almost comatose and had a wonderful flight.

As far as returning to work you need to ask yourself how good of condition you are in. That is an important factor in determining length of time to return to work. I am 5' 10" and weighed 163 at 10% body fat prior to surgery. I had cycled almost 2,000 miles and did alot of walking and gardening. I was in fabulous shape pre-surgery and spent 5 days in the hospital. The length was long due to having 4 discs replaced. I returned to driving at 2 weeks, drove long distances at 6 weeks, and returned to work at 8 weeks. I don't recommend someone to do as I do. Especially with driving due to the chance of an accident wiping you out. I have a very safe SUV with lots of airbags so I am not as concerned about an accident. I believe I could have went back to work as soon as I got home as my neck did not bother me at all. I have had mostly problems with my feet and legs due to distraction pain from being stretched.

As far as fighting Blue Cross I would say go for it. They need to have people take them on as the people who don't fight let them get away with not paying for a valid procedure.

Good-Luck and please continue to utilize this place as a good resource for support and knowledge.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5