View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 01:20 PM

Where else would I find understanding folks? I'm in a bit of a desperate situation, and I'm sure a lot of it resides in my head. Intro: 6 mm. herniation at L4 bulging to the left and somehow "resting" on the sciatic nerve, DDD diagnosis 5 years ago, chiropractors, epidurals, nerve blocks, Norco to Pecocett and now Percocett with MS Contin (30 mgs.) 3 x's a day for each along with 2400 mgs. on Neurotin, traveled to Texas Back and saw Blumenthal, home dr. is Garcia in Miami, went to Bogota, Colombia on opinion of father-in-law to see a renowned neurosurgeon, visited with Univ. of Miami top dr. Eismont (fusion only). Other than the fusion doc, the other three said I was candidate for ADR. All three said a fusion (in my case) would put too much pressure on above vertebrae causing me to be back under the knife in a few years. I've got a history of abusing my pain meds. Thank God my wife doles them out to me, or I would be a goner.
My insurance co. (United Health Care) has denied the ADR procedure as "too experimental" and "no sufficient evidence" blah, blah, blah.
I'm on my 3rd appeal with not a lot of confidence in that system. Perhaps I need to retain an attorney with background in this type of stuff?
I'm experiencing a consistent level 8 pain (sciatic) throughout the day except for the brief respite the meds bring. I am starting back to work soon (8th grade history teacher), and I was already asked to leave for a few days last year because I was "impaired" according to the principal, etc. I know the fusion procedure is the reasonably outdated (according to my research), and the fusion doc said I would have a 60% chance that I would say I was glad to have the surgery. I'm uncomfortable with those odds. I also know the future of back surgery is the ADR procedure. I'm about ready to give up the fight and go for the fusion for whatever relief it might bring. The past week has been a nightmare even with the meds. Any suggestions - all are welcome. Thank you for letting me vent here. I've wanted to share this for awhile now, but I know those around me seem tired of me complaining (at least that's the assumption I've formed.