View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 09:00 PM

Just a few thoughts on surgeon selection: You're going to need someone who's going to look at your back as an interesting puzzle to solve rather than as a threatening lawsuit when total recovery isn't possible. I'd try to work through phone consults whenever possible when you can't go in person. I'd also spend some serious time in research and thinking for yourself what you'd hope for in recovery. I'm over my head in guessing how much recovery you could expect but if you go in to conversations with potential surgeons talking about stopping the ever-worsening condition and trying to get some of you life back, they may be willing to talk with you a bit more frankly about what they can and can't do for you. Please don't think that I suggesting that you settle for less, but the more you work with the surgeon, the more he/she's going to see you as a person rather than a statistic. Laura's had good luck with her back but the problems she's fought, and is still fighting, with her knee have become so consuming that she's really only walking now because a surgeon decided to treat it as a challenge to solve. Of course, he up and quit so we're going through the step now of looking for another Don Quixote surgeon.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog