View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 02:05 PM

Back to JJames, folks.....this is his thread, after all,

First, I just want to express my sincere concerns about your current state of pain, frustration, where to turn next, etc. It can be absolutely overwhelming. Hence, you have come to a wonderful place in search of the best answers and solutions for you JJames. I hope you find precisely the best solution and the best doctor to lead you to pain free living in the weeks and months ahead. I am just speaking from my own personal experience here, obviously, but in a nutshell here is the path I went down, and I only share it in hopes that it might help you, and any others: I had 3 lumbar adr's installed by Dr. Bertagnoli 2 years ago, yet never felt like I got the pain relief I was hoping for.

I then had ALIF below the 3 levels, at L6-S1 (I have an extra vertebra), last July. Unfortunately, had to be reopened up 30 days later, due to bone cement leakage. 5 days after that discharge I suffered a fairly massive pulmonary embolism and double pneumonia, and had to be rushed by ambulance for an additional 5 day hospital stay. I thank God I am still alive to tell this story. Unfortunately, even tho I was fusing nicely, my pain was getting worse, not better, especially in low back, right butt cheek, and right hip. I could not stand for 5 minutes at the grocery check out line w/o excruciating pain.

I then had the very good fortune to be put in touch with a surgeon here in Minneapolis by a gentleman that runs another spine forum. He had met him at a spine conference last fall and was very impressed by his findings. This fellow arranged a 3 way conference call with the doctor one evening, and we consulted for over an hour! Amazing. He then "found an opening" to fit me in the very next day for an in person consult, along w/ viewing my images. After a thorough physical exam and ordering an additional MRI of my pelvis area, he concluded that my SI joints were major pain generators. (back up: I also had had an SI joint injection about two weeks prior, at my pain management clinic with 100% relief, for about 5 hours) This doctor said most doctors still don't believe how such small joints can cause such high pain levels. This is all he does is SI Joint Fusions. Highly specialized. (he has done numerous other surgeries over the years but became interested in chronic back pain sufferers, failed back syndrome folks like myself, and committed himself to only handling the most difficult cases.) He has had amazing results with hundreds of patients who journal in a book that is available to read, while you wait for an appointment. I have to admit, I was more than curious and desperate for pain relief. He highly recommended a fusion of my right SI joint (my most painful side), and before I knew it, I was scheduled for 3/10/09. I even got to enjoy an evening of dinner with him and a small group of other local ADR patients, Dr. B patients. Who gets to have dinner with their surgeon the night before?! I will be 4 weeks post op on Tuesday, and I can honestly say, I am coming along incredibly well. I have to use my crutches/cain for 2 more weeks, then I will likely start some p.t., or do my own water and exercise regime. All my pre-surgery pain is gone, and I am only experiencing surgical pain.

Let me be clear when I say I have not been this pain free since my bicycle accident 8 years ago. This doctor very much believes my other surgeries were necessary and are supporting this final piece to the puzzle. He is absolutely fascinated by what he can see on my images that Dr. B performed. He says they now finally have a chance (my 3 new discs) to perform like they were meant to. Pain-free. Just to give you an idea of how this latest surgery has already changed my lifestyle: I went to a Blues Bar and dance club (obviously didn't dance!) with friends 1 week after my surgery, sitting and thoroughly enjoying all the fun. I let my crutches do a little jig, and got alot of laughs from the patrons. I have been enjoying my new granddaughter on almost a daily basis, with no pain.

This past weekend I went out with friends again to Happy Hour, sat for almost 5 hours at the restaurant, thoroughly loving life and great conversations, until I knew it was time for me to leave. As soon as I felt some pain, I got up, bid my goodbyes and left. They call this LIFE. LIVING. Something I have not done in a very long time. Sorry this is so long. I just wanted to give you a picture of a changed me. Of course I hope and pray this is long lasting relief, and I never for a minute forget the hell I came from, and am thankful for every day that nudges me closer and closer to pain-free living. This is my hope and desire for you in the days ahead, and anyone else reading this. Please feel free to PM me with any questions or if you would like to talk. Where in Connecticut are you? My husband is from Glastonbury. God bless JJames!

Cindylou
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!