View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 10:59 PM

hi jjames,

i'm so sorry you are struggling. can you find a place near you that can perform your MRI, call Dr. Yue's asst and have them fax the referral to that MRI facility? you need to get it going if Dr. Yue's office can't. This is what i just did for myself with my surgeon in less than 24 hrs (MRI in a few wks). I know you have a lot on your plate so just try and take one thing at a time. Then, i think you need to try and get a hybrid op or even a 2-level fusion if that is indicated after the MRI results as you sounds like you are deteriorating. I don't know what meds you are on but it doesn't sound like you are comfortable driving that far and you're putting yourself and others at risk.

Can you take a sick leave or time off under the Family Medical Leave Act? I would ask your HR person about it. When i was struggling pre-op to perform my own job duties I took part-time off under the Family Medical Leave Act for my own illness.

Since you've come this far w/Dr. Yue try and get the MRI and surgery w/him soon (unless your gut tells you otherwise) but if not get another opinion. I don't know of anyone in Boston but i'm sure people on here will. i've heard good things about Dr. Fabian Bitan in NYC, but I have no personal experience with him. He performs a lot of hybrid operations, but i believe he uses the Charite. Try and get the MRI and then maybe see if other surgeons will review your films remotely if you have trouble getting into Dr. Yue.

Hang in there,
Liz
2009 L4-5 Prodisc ADR removed and revised to XLIF w/posterior instrumentation
massive hemorrhage from tear of inferior vena cava at right iliac vein due to adhesion from Prodisc op
2010 not fused; as a result of complications permanent nerve damage to lumbar plexus causing severe rt leg, hip, groin pain