View Single Post
Old 05-04-2018, 04:56 PM

Default Financing ADR Surgery

Hi all,

I am writing in the insurance section because I don't see a more appropriate area to write this post in. Harrison, maybe you can help me out?

My question is, how did all of you afford to pay for your ADR surgery?

I am 28 years old and it is looking like I will need surgery one way or another in my lower-back. I understand many people on this forum may have saved up money over the years to pay for this type of surgery, but I have not. I've been stricken at a point in my life where I was just getting my finances together and could start thinking about creating a savings.

If I were to get the surgery, there's no way I could afford to go to Europe. I would have to switch insurance plans in the states to cover a doctor who does ADR here and borrow money for the co-pay from a friend or family member as I do not have substantial credit to cover thousands in deductables.

The other problem I see is that I will be missing months of work in recovery on top of the medical bills. My job is physically-orientated and I keep hearing it will be months until I can return to moderately strenuous activity.

How did you all manage to pay for your ADR surgery, how did you financially manage the recovery process, and do you have any advice for a young man like me?
2017 - Blew out my back on leg-press. MRI showed L5-S-1 disc herniation and grade 1 retrolisthesis.
2018 - Successful ADR surgery with Dr. Rolando Garcia using the Activ-L implant.
2019 - In physical therapy for burning in feet, L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge and SI joint pain.
2020 - Getting better with one-on-one PT.

30 - Male - American