View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 01:16 AM

Angry Health Care in America

I am definitely not for universal health care either; but something has got to give. My family spends $1,200 a month on co-pays, prescriptions, out of pocket, deductibles, and premiums (and no one has had any major surgery). This is $14,400 a year, some people don't even make that in a year. Others make double, maybe triple that. Even at an income of 3x that, $43,200 a year, that would make your medical spending 33% of your income. How in the world does one support a family and pay that kind of money? I am very fortunate that we are able to afford that and still live comfortably, but so many can not.

For instance, my brother got married 2 years ago, at age 28. He and his wife, 26 years old, bought a home (the American dream), and started building their life together. Like so many of us (myself included), as a young married, health insurance was the furthest thing from my mind. We were young and healthy and had 'better' ways to spend that premium, thus making the choice to forgo insurance. They checked into insurance and decided it wasn't in the budget; but were planning on getting it in a year and planning to start a family. One year and two months after the wedding, my brother was shocked to find a lump in his testicle. He went to the doctor, thinking that it was nothing; but got it checked due to his wife's insisting (her mom was battling breast cancer and she was in high alert mode). The doctor decided he wanted to have it surgically removed and do further testing.... A month before my brother turned 30, he was diagnosed with testicular cancer that had already spread to his stomach and lungs. He then began cancer treatment, with no insurance. He did have a small 'nest egg' set aside, which didn't last long. He paid 10K to have a central line implanted.

Another 12k for testicle removal, numerous testing, etc. It was not long before the 30k 'nest egg' was gone. He then had his first chemo, in the hospital, since it was so strong that he was high risk for having his body shut down and needing to be brought back. They put money down and made a payment plan upon admission. The plan was for 5 days in, 8 hours a day of chemo, then 3 weeks 'off', with one outpatient treatment for 8 hours at the hospital each week, then 5 days 8 hours in hospital. He finished he first 5 days in the hospital and returned 4 days later for his outpatient day and was refused treatment. He was told that without paying the bill in full for the prior treatment he could not be treated, even though he had made a down payment and payment arrangements. He did not qualify for goverment assistance as his income was too high. He has been fortunate to have a dr who helped him get discounted chemo in the dr's office, as well as family and church family who have contributed financially to his care. This is all because he made a gamble on his health, by having no insurance and lost. One year later he is saving to have a 'mass' removed from his stomach, which may or may not be cancer.

Then, back to testing for cancer clearance. Also, he will NEVER be insurable, no one will take him with cancer in the history, no life insurance, nothing. All for one case of bad judgement in not having insurance. We, as Americans, can not allow our fellow Americans to die for bad judgement, lack of money, or unforseeable circumstances; something has got to change. Although, from what I have read and heard about Canada's health care system, that is not the answer.... months waiting for a dr visit, a diagnostic tool, a surgery, etc. that could be life or death for many. Stepping off my soapbox now....