View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmers View Post
Newbie, Hi Welcome.

I would check about being able to lift a lot of weight after having surgery. It may be okay, but really heavy weights are not encouraged after ADR.

If your vertebral disc is your pain generator, nothing short of replacing that part is going to make you feel better, IMHO. Getting an ADR is major surgery and it is not a walk in the park and different people heal at different rates.

I have several friends who think that fusion at L5/S1 is not as bad as say at a higher lumbar level as the area is less mobile and just the SI joints are below and not another disc.

However, I had SI joint problems and I figured that fusion might really throw that area off. So I was in favor of ADR at L5/S1.
But I know people with fusions and they are doing fine. You are right, there are people with good and bad stories with both fusion and ADR.

I would suggest getting multiple surgical opinions so you can form an informed opinion.

K
What Kimmers said.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.