View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 05:10 PM

I also think it depends on what you consider a negative outcome. There are a lot of folks on these forums who have had some incredibly major surgeries and sometimes multiple surgeries in quick succession, but that doesn't always indicate a negative outcome. Each of us comes here with a different set of issues that add up to the entire problem, and sometimes one procedure isn't the full solution because of those various conditions.

I'd also have to agree with regards to positive outcome posts. I'm sure it's easy to forget to post when you're out enjoying the fact that your back pain is gone.

I'm also taking it easy after having a one level ADR surgery done back on June 23rd. Things have been progressing better than I could have ever dreamed of so far, but by the same token I have to be very careful to not over do it when I'm feeling great. Pushing too hard could cause my current state of feeling awesome to deteriorate or cause me issues later.

My best advice for making your decision would be to keep in mind your own condition's details and see if you can find post-op threads that include some of the things you're experiencing and some of the things your doctor(s) have said are an issue for you medically. If ADR truly is the solution for you, keep in mind that the recovery period will vary and the symptoms you feel post-op will likely vary too. Those who have posted and had similar pre-op issues to your own will be the better indications of what to expect. BUT, don't take those experiences as the end all be all of what could happen because each of us reacts slightly differently.

I can't personally advise on some of the details you've posted about your condition because I'm not knowledgeable about them. The folks who have posted, have given some really good advice. Any surgery is scary regardless of whether or not it fits, but the only other thing I can think of to say as advice would be to make sure you have confidence in the doctor doing the procedure. I don't have confidence in my primary care doctor but I can say that I had a ton of confidence in my surgeon for my own ADR surgery and that made my own decision to go through with it that much easier.

Hope this helps somehow and I hope everything turns out well in your quest to resolve your back pain issues.

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!