View Single Post
Old 07-09-2006, 09:07 PM

I had am awesome PT in San Diego that worked with elderly patients. You can find them.

There are very simple basic things that she can do on the ball but having a PT show her is the best thing.

I crack my upper back and SI joints by rolling down/and bending backwards over the ball, and it is HUGE to help me release a lot of joint tightness...and it's much more comfortable and gentle than using a foam roller which another PT suggested.

I am also supposed to alternate lifting a knee one at a time..but to do this without a PT watching and showing you...she could be doing it with bad form and doing more damage than good.

I also lean against the wall with the ball between my low back and the wall, and roll down bending at the knees for squats. Standing against the ball, in the right position feels very good, and she wouldn't have to bend very far to start. Again, only if a PT recommends this particular exercise.

Just sitting on the ball with proper posture, watching tv helps to strenthen core muscles.

I do light weights for an arm work out while sitting on the ball. Sitting on the ball adds to your balance and gives a little bit of a core muscle work out.

I also put one leg on the ball at a time for gentle stretching of back of thighs.

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop