View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 02:03 PM

Default Would I be taking second best?

I have been waiting for an appeal with Insurance for a four level disc replacement in Germany, the same ones Terry had. It won't be scheduled until after Christmas because of a delay in paperwork.

I found out yesterday that I have been accepted for surgery with a NS in Vancouver, British Columbia, whenever I want to set the date. It would be a two stage surgery though, instead of all done on one day, but each one will be very short...one hour for the two level cervical, and two hours for the lumbar. It could possibly be spread over a few weeks, maybe involving me flying home, then back out, about a six hour flight each way. This is compared to the 4-6 hour surgery that is (possibly) available in my province for each disc, although I have yet to find anyone willing to do it.

Pros: It will be covered under our insurance. The doctor is supposed to be top notch, and easy to work with. It is in my own country. The NS was trained in Germany, by Dr. B. Did I mention that it will not bankrupt me??

Cons: The doctor has done about 150 or so surgeries so far. A far cry from the several thousand the doctors in Germany have done. He uses ProDisc, and I was hoping to use Maverick. I like the all metal composition.

Is there anything else I should be looking at, or should I jump at the chance if my appeal fails? Even if it isn't my first choice of disc? I have no other options, and I feel both excited and scared silly at the same time.

The doctors here have not given me any options to go with the diagnosis of DDD, multi-level herniation, stenosis, compression of the spinal cord, etc. The one I have seen for more than five minutes wasn't even sure fusion was warranted, let alone ADR. If I don't go to either, I am in limbo, and will be permanently, I think. Most everyone here has been in the same boat, haven't they?

I feel in some ways that I have been extremely blessed in having a second choice, but am worried that it is not the right one.

I feel like I should just book a surgery date for February, and just cancel if the appeal is successful. Arg! Help!

L4/5/S1- Mod. narrowing, bulging disc, significant hypertrophy of flava lig.

Highly allergic to all metals.

NEW: 3/16/2010: Successful surgery in Brazil w. Dr. Pimenta; Nuvasive NeoDisc at C5/6, and XLIF & ALIF at L4/5/S1 w. PEEK cages. No rods, screws, plates. Non-metal lumbar ADR not available at present time, so went with fusion.