View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 01:40 AM

Default Slowly getting answers down at Mayo Clinic

Hi any and all who are following my thread,

I have been down at Mayo for the past two days. Had to be off the coumadin for 6 days. So today I finally had the MRI with contrast injection into my right hip. The bottom line basically is: the MRI is showing, of course, alot more than the stupid x-ray. I have another labral tear in my hip, furthered arthritic changes, altho they are not showing as severe as my pain levels are dictating. On examination, he definitely thinks the pain is coming from my hip joint. So, tomorrow morning I am going back over for a cortisone/lidocaine injection (I'll find out exactly which tomorrow) directly into the hip joint, then really pay attention for the first 8 hours. He thinks, that will be the ultimate predictor for a total hip replacement, if I get immediate relief. Due to my age and already having one prior labral repair on this same hip 2 1/2 years ago, that wasn't that successful, he doesn't really think another scope and repair would be prudent. He can definitely tell my quality of life is very compromised.

One thing I find interesting and have to comment on is: I am not overweight at all, am well-dressed, look fit, am attractive for an old coot (bear with me, I have a point to make here), so, I am NOT what the doctor is expecting to see. So, there is discrimination on this side of the fence as well. If you're not fat, out of shape, and you look great, what the hell's wrong with you?! So today, I made sure I didn't take any pain medication at all (only have a couple left anyway), and I was miserably in pain during the interview. After it was over, the front desk lady must have heard me groan while I waited for the appt. to be made, and demanded someone get a wheelchair for me. When the host brought the wheelchair to the waiting area, once again, she walked right by me, while I tried to wave her down, that I was the patient! So I went by wheelchair to my final appt., back down in thrombophilia. Felt foolish at first, and then had a quick change of heart. I was so grateful to be wheeled to that last appt., cuz I was a train wreck. Life's little gifts along the way.

So, even tho I'm bummed at even the idea of another surgery, I'm glad to know I'm not nuts and something is definitely wrong with my freakin' hip! I just want to feel well again and enjoy life. Be able to hold my grandchild. Doesn't seem like alot to ask.

Thanks for listening. Sorry this is so long. Feel free to edit Rich.

Cindy (realized I probably should have put this in the other forum, for MRI's, etc.)
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!

Last edited by CindyLou; 12-18-2008 at 01:44 AM.