View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 12:25 AM

Default Central stenosis-- what happens?

Has anyone out there gone through the advanced stages of central stenosis, cord compression and flattening, etc? I have gotten numerous opinions from around the globe regarding my severe stenosis at c3-c7-- from a 4-level fusion to hybrid with adr's and fusion combined at three or four levels to other variations. The bottom line is that no one truly agrees and so I've settled with one of the many opinions which is: to wait. A majority would not agree with this given the severity of my condition but while my MRI is ugly, I feel mostly fine-- some hand sensations and occasional 'nervy' stuff here and there, a little discomfort in my neck at times, but mostly very minor compared to what I know is possible.

Of course I'm at high risk for paralysis, and/or bladder, bowels, etc. scary irreversible stuff. I'm willing to live with the risk because as of now, surgery would likely create pain rather than relieve it and I'm frankly not "ready". So here's the question: I'm following the advice of one doctor to wait. He says I'll 'know when it's time'.

Does anyone know what that means and can you explain it to me? What does it feel like? What should I know? How did you "know"? I've recently started feeling soreness in the heel of my foot when I put weight on it, and mainly only first thing in the morning or at night. It feels like general sort of deep bruise soreness, almost like a Charlie horse kind of I-banged-it on something kind of soreness. Has anyone experienced this? I find it hard to believe it's related...just doesn't seem like it or am I deluded? Is this the beginning? Should I begin to think about surgery because this means it's coming? What did you experience, what did it feel like, and how did you know "it was time"? Any insight or experience would be deeply appreciated.
DEC 2010 -- 51 yrs old-- multiple problems with C3-C7 --kyphosis, stenosis, cord flattening that has slowly evolved from a fall at age 12-- not much pain yet but told to fuse 4 levels and looking for alternatives