View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 05:38 PM

Default Blast the SI Joint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Karin, thanks for posting. You've suffered through years of pain and discomfort; I am sorry.

Regarding the SI problem, sorry to return your question with a question -- but the -itis issue of the SI joint is rare in this community, at least during the last four years. Do you have any idea if this was a singular diagnosis that was made that simply propagated through the system? This is a tricky diagnosis, IMHO. If you can, please tell us more about how this diagnosis was made.

There are many folks here that have had a mix of SI issues, but they all seem to share one unfortunate element: complexity.

Rich,

Indeed, the Sacroillitis Diagnosis was a surprise to me as well. To this day, NO ONE has ever said anything to me about it.

When I went for my 2nd surgical opinion at Beth Israel, the Dr. down there sent me for x-rays. When I requested the reports for the x-rays, it stated something to the effect of sclerotic changes in the SI joint, more so on the left than the right. X-rays suggest possible sacroillitis.

I was diagnosed as having a positive Patrick's Sign years ago. Also had an increased SED rate around that same time. My previous OS said the Patrick's Sign just meant that I had pain in the hip. I've also mentioned to several doctors that I have swelling in my right thigh since my MVA. No one has ever treated me for any of these things until I went for my 3rd surgical consult in NYC in September.

I had an injection into the right SI joint (since that hurt more than the left) of just numbing medication to see if that releived any of my pain. About 30 minutes after the injection, the Pain Mgmt. Dr. pressed over the right SI joint & I swung around & almost punched his lights out. So, in essence, the injection was only about 20% effective for me.

I was told by the Pain Mgmt. Dr. that it is not uncommon to see disc issues along with SI joint issues. When I explained to him the pain that I was feeling, he told me that it sounded like a had issues with the disc as well.

Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

ALIF/PLIF Fusion 1/20/09