View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 10:24 PM

Default Bit confused (Bierstedt vs Clavel)

In mid May I received a reply from Dr.Bierstedt regarding my scans and this is what he recommended:

Drs Bierstedt and Illerhaus comment after reciewing your data :

Diagnosis

degenerative disc disease L4/5 and L5/S1 – spondylolisthesis (slippage of vertebrae)

Dr. Bierstedt:
ADVISE:

disc replacement L4/5: ROI-S cage and stabilization at L5/S1 (APLIF)

The advised surgery by senior neurosurgeon Drs Thomas Bierstedt or Dr Illerhaus includes

· M6 implant technology

. Nuvasive implant, Globus spine

· fluroscopic guidance for accurate placement of implant

I then contacted Dr.Clavel and received this:

“At L5-S1 only a fusion can be done due to the spondylolisthesis
It cannot be done from the front due to the steep sacral slope.
He then needs a fusión from the back.
What can be done is a lumbar arthroplasty at L4-L5, this one coming from an anterior approach, as we always do”

So, Dr. Bierstedt is saying he would do the fusion from the front (L5-S1), then put the ADR in at L4-L5. Malte called me to answer a few questions and said it would be a fusion from the front, then 2 tiny keyhole sized incisions in the back to put the screws in.

Dr. Clavel is saying due to my sacral slope, a fusion from the front can't be done, so it would be a PLIF and then flip me over and ADR it up from the front...

This is fairly confusing as one is saying it can be done and the other is saying it can't...

From what I've read, isn't the posterior approach bound to increase recovery time, as they'd be hacking through my back muscles to gain access?

Has anyone on here heard of anything like this before?

Thanks!
-Very intensive kickboxing training during this time.
2013(May): Pain started coming back while training.
2013-Now: Diagnosed with Spondylolisthesis L5-S1 and ddd at L4-L5. Declined fusion less than 24 hrs pre-op. Began my research on ADR and alternative possibilities to fusion.

Last edited by Mrbaozi; 06-11-2015 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Added stuff