View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjaminrbecker View Post
Gents,

Dr B gave me a quote of EUR 32.

also Dr Pimenta in Brazil, Clavel, Zeegers and Boeree.
It is very difficult to know how to proceed from here. (~Agree)

Z has provided by far the most comprehensive review and diagnosis of my condition (at a cost of EUR500; Boeree also charges, GBP250). The one sticking point I have with Z is that he recommends Active L, which is not second generation (not shock absorbing). He suggests Active L because he says that it is custom made for each recipient, whereas all others are not.
Best wishes for your side.

reference Activ-L documents, LINK

The biomechanics of lumbar levels varies slightly between L4-L5 and L5-S1. There is more compressive shear at L5-S1 because of vertebral angles, in general, and this can be erased by individual biologic variability of vert.angles and facets (angles) add another variable x person within ranges.

Look at the BBraun site / docs and you will note there is a specific mention of L5-S1. I

The Activ-L S1 plate is an additional option for the surgeon to address patient`s anatomy.

There are patients who have a sacrum with a rather round or egg shaped cross-sectional footprint.

For those patients the S1 plate has rounded posterior edges and can therefore be placed close to the posterior rim of the S1 vertebra without these edges protruding into the spinal canal.

This might enable the surgeon to use a larger size compared to the standard plate, which reduces the risk of subsidence and nerve root
irritation.

The S1 plate is just an option, there are of course cases, where the standard plate will fit better. X-ray templates are available which can be used for preoperative planning in order to define the appropriate plate type.

Anterior or oblique insertions are possible with a minimum disc height of 8.5mm.

Fixation: activ-L can have a keel like ProDisc or spikes. There are biomechanical tests showing better long term stress results, less chance of hiccups with spike-only. It is only lab testing, not in-vivo.