View Single Post
Old 08-12-2016, 04:59 PM

Wow, I feel for you. I and Old Codger are the only ones I know of that have gone through the metal allergy nightmare!

I spoke to the "PhD in Immunology" in the lab at Orthopedic Analysis about their test before I sent them my blood. (Sorry, I don't remember his name. I left him a message through the receptionist there and he called me back.) He was very knowledgeable and helpful! I think it would be worth giving him a call. I can thank him for me getting my M6-C's! I was in the same situation as you for about 10 months before I figured out that my first MELISA metal allergy blood test was crap. It was the PhD that pointed me in the right direction because he understood the results of my first test. You need to understand the test results as they relate to the implant you want to get and the only way I was able to puzzle this out was by talking to the PhD plus, seeing an orthopedic surgeon who looked at the titanium I already have in vivo.

Your test is non reactive for Chromium, Molybdenum and Cobalt which is what the Mobi-C is made out which is a cervical ADR that is not Titanium. The same metals are in the Prodisc ADR. I don't know what is in the "Cobalt Alloy Particles" that they grind up for their test but the PhD will know. You are more reactive to Titanium so, I would be considering discs that don't have much of it or none of it in them. I am mildly reactive to Aluminum (2.1) but, since the M6-C has so little of it in the end plates, I wasn't concerned about it. The M6's are made up of primarily Titanium. So, in the end, even though I was mildly reactive to one of the metals, I made the decision to get the surgery. It was a judgment call. My last thought on this is that for Titanium they had to use the particles because Titanium is not liquid so, they couldn't just put it in a dropper and drop some on the blood. They had to use particles. This takes me back to wondering what is in the "Cobalt Alloy Particles."

http://myspineassociates.com/wp-cont...ient_Guide.pdf

I'm not sure what the composition of metals are for the Activ L but, I would check before you call Orthopedic Analysis and ask to speak to the PhD there. It has titanium in it but, the question is how much? The manufacturer will be able to give you the breakdown. Dr. Clavel had the breakdown from the manufacturer for the M6's so, that's how I got that information.

https://www.aesculapimplantsystems.c...n_Brochure.pdf

Have you spoken to Dr. Zeegers about the Activ L or your test results? One thing I learned when my first metal allergy test came back positive for me being reactive to Titanium is that the surgeons will drop you like a hot potato, so do not show them the test results until you completely understand it yourself. They don't understand these tests because metal allergies are rare according to them but, at the same time, they don't want to take a risk on you. They have other patients lining up for surgery! Dr. Zeegers and two other surgeons in the U.S. dismissed me pretty fast after they saw my first blood test and that was the end of that.

It took me months to research and figure out the problem with the first test. Once I proved to myself that I was not allergic to Titanium, I went back to Dr. Clavel. However, I had doctor's notes from an orthopedic knee surgeon from where I live that said it was his opinion I was not allergic to that metal. I have titanium screws in my knee and had to have an MRI of my knee, x-rays of my knee and several appointments with the doctor before we came to that conclusion. Do you have any metal already in your body?

This is not an exact science and it was very hard for me to find doctors that knew anything about it. I even went to an allergist who basically said the blood tests for metal allergies are worthless. Don't give up and don't share the test with the surgeons yet. I think you need to know what is in the "Cobalt Alloy Particles" first.

Here is my post #169 regarding metal allergies. Not sure if it has anything in it that will help you but, it has some of my research in it. https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/sh...=13049&page=17

Here is what I ended up with:

Particles: all were Normal

Ions:
Aluminum 2.1 (Mildly Reactive)
Chromium 2.1 (Mildly Reactive)
Nickel 47.7 (Highly Reactive)
Zirconium 2.3 (Mildly Reactive)
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016