View Single Post
Old 07-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Banned

I think another important thing here is to educate the OB/GYNs about ADR and pregnancy.
When I was younger with my bad discs I really had a difficult time when asking about pregnancy/delivery with my back.
Neuros said "don't have kids"
OB/GYNs said "get pregnant, stay in bed, no meds, C/SEC"
High Risk OB/GYNs said "you can deliver vaginally, you have no pregnancy related condition that would suggest otherwise"...

My back was horrible and got worse as my childbearing years went on and finally at age 40 because there seemed to be no acceptable treatment for my chronic low back pain secondary to failed 2nd spine surgery, I opted to have BTL.

I worked with OB/GYNs for many years...was a NP working in maternal child health, neonatal and OB/GYN for the better part of my career so this was a very difficult decision to make.

Overall I felt the medical community and OB/GYNs didn't really have a good standardized and individualized ability/resources to work with persons with degenerative/chronic spine condition thoughout pregnancy and delivery ( not to mention afterwards as I would have needed at least as good PM as I have now if not better).

Basically in the last 10-12 years there has been a great advancement in the PM specialty, and there is far greater acceptance and understanding in terms of dealing with chronic pain patients.. and in pregnancy this continues to evolve...

Those of you young women out there of childbearing age, this is a new age of spinal recovery and childbearing ... and the medical community, OB/GYNs must be educated also so they can work with this population of childbearing/childrearing females..

Make yourselves heard...