View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 01:52 PM

Wow. We are in the same boat EXACTLY with Bierstedt and Clavel. Well, almost. Mine's lumbar. Yours is cervical.

I will post my two diametrically opposed emails I received today from both doctors in a separate post and link back to here.

But, first, wow, your image is indeed interesting. Do you have a lateral MRI yet? Cause that could determine the level of herniation which can't be seen here.

But, what I can say in regard to your image is that I lean more towards Clavel in this particular case. By fusing the upper levels Clavel is trying to bring your neck back into alignment which should take the muscle pressure off your upper back from having to compensate all the time. That's just my layman's two cents BTW.

Don't know how bad your bottom level cervical herniations are though.

Sucks to have to make this kind of decision since it is so wildly different.

IMO, Bierstedt is much more straight forward and assembly line in his approach. Clavel is more of a 'creative'(think Don Draper from Mad Men). There does seem to be a retreat from 'M6' everything now, especially in Clavel's case. He is open to various options. Bierstedt is too since I just talked to a guy who had two M6's plus a TOPS over them. And another Bierstedt patient who had a whole trainload of gear installed in his neck and back, including a pair of Triumph discs which I wanted to hear about.

I'll link my responses from the two neuros in question shortly.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.