View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 10:21 PM

Default ADR questions - just getting started

Hello to everyone and thank you for continuing to support and offer insight to all involved.

I am just getting started with exploring ADR. I have dealt with a degenerating L5/S1 disc with no lithesis for 6 years. I am getting started with a local neurosurgeon that teaches at U of Michigan for an initial opinion. I want 3 surgical opinions overall. So I need as much insight as I can get in order to make the best decision for my situation.

I looked for a while for these answers and couldn’t find any, but here goes:

1. If I only have L5/S1 ADR, and the disc above needs replacement years later, am I unable due to re-entering the abdomen (kind of like the risk of ADR to fusion revision?)

2. If I decide to do an ALIF with a STALIF-M device, and years later need an L4/5 ADR, do I disqualify myself the same way as mentioned in #1?

The L4/5 is mildly degenerated but still lots of height and fluid. I am 45 and if just the L5/S1 is proposed to be operated on, what if the one above goes bad later? I know with a fusion, more likely, but I am reading ADRs don’t necessarily protect from further adjacent degen.

Thank you for any thoughts or input.

2013 minimal L4/5 bulge, small central protrusion L5/S1
2014 major injury, no changes on MRI
Normal EMGs
Normal exams
2019 another injury, L5/S1 degenerated
Caudal epidural helped a little
2020 Surgeon #1 “no surgery”, #2 and 3 pending
PNMR doc “no surgery”, doing SI injections, PRP or stem after?