View Single Post
Old 08-31-2020, 01:56 PM

Default Lost and grateful for insight

My name is Ryan and I am 36 and live in Atlanta, GA. I have been dealing with low back pain with debilitating spasms since 2012. I was able to stay active and manage the pain, when I wasn't locked up from a spasm, until 2016. Since then, I haven't been able to run, bike, play golf, play basketball, and only minimally hike. It has taken away a significant amount of joy in my life. I also have two young boys and my ability to be active with them is greatly limited.

My pain has always been flexion-intolerant and fortunately only had minimal sciatica. I would describe my back pain like a permanent turned-ankle; when I bend or twist it is a sharp and broad ache across my low back. If I push it too far my body will lock up for days.

Since 2012, I have tried multiple epidural steroid injections, facet radio-frequency ablation, chiropractic, PT, massage, acupuncture, Egoscue, and Rolfing. I have even had stem cells shot into my degenerated disc. I have only continued to worsen.

In that time I have developed mild depression which is primarily rooted in my pain. It makes me irritable and quick to lose my patience. I feel like a worse dad and spouse because of it and desperately want to be free of the daily burden. I am sure many of you can relate.

This year I started considering ADR at L4/L5 where MRI has showed a degenerated disc since 2012. Given the imagining of my spine and flexion-based pain, my providers have mostly focused on the L4/L5 disc. However, a recent discogram didn't create pain at L4/L5 but did create pain at L5/S1. The results have paralyzed my decision making not knowing where my pain is actually coming from. All imaging points to L4/L5 but the discogram points to L5/S1.

Which brings me to today. I feel at a complete loss as to what to do. A two-level ADR feels aggressive at 36. Choosing between the discs feels like random guessing. And I have exhausted all conservative/experimental options. I can still function at my job and take care of myself, and therefore assume I should wait before taking the risk of surgery. But in the meantime, I know I am losing out on joy with my family and increasing my depression. I often feel hopeless.

How have many of you made the ADR decision? How confident were you in the pain diagnosis? I am searching other posts to learn from your stories. Any insight you have would be dearly appreciated. Thank you all.

2016 – intermittent pain becomes always present yet no change on MRI; RFI for L3/L4/L5 facet nerves has no impact

2018 - stem cells injected into L4/L5 disc with minimal impact

2020 - ADR at L4/L5 considered but discogram is not conclusive

2021 - L4/L5 replaced March 31st