View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 12:41 AM

Hi guys,

I realize that this may not be an entirely new topic, as this is my first time on this site, hopefully you can tolerate my ignorance I'm trying to help my husband make a decision about his herniated discs.

I have noticed lots of conversation about insurance coverage with Blue Cross Blue Shield. I haven't seen any mention of Federal BCBS, so I'm not sure that there is any difference between federal coverage and basic coverage. Does anyone know what difference this might make?

I called BCBS in Washington DC and they said that they handle all of the overseas claims. They also told me that any doctor overseas would automatically be considered a preferred provider, and that the ADR procedure (or any other procedure that is medically necessary) was guaranteed to be handled as if you were stateside. (She said that the only way that they would not pay as usual is if a procedure is strictly cosmetic, which of course this is not The one exception to the preferred provider coverage was that since they do not contract with Stenum Hospital in Germany, if the amounts that the hospital bills is above what is "usual and customary" I would be required to pay the difference. (Whereas in the US the provider just writes off the difference and I'm not responsible for it.)

I live in Wyoming, and have not called my local Wyoming BCBS. Is that where I am going to run into problems and have to appeal? The lady I talked to sure sounded like she new what she was talking about, but she is the only person I have asked so far. I will call Wyoming BCBS tomorrow, but was just very curious if Federal coverage was any different.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! You seem like a pretty friendly crew, and I'm glad that there is place to post questions like this. Thanks again! Misty