View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 09:13 PM

Keep reminding yourself of the vast array of possible recoveries. One thing I did pre-op was read through lots of the surgical outcomes here so I had a clearer idea of the absolute best possible outcome and the absolute worst possible outcome. This way I knew the extremes but at the same time knew I was more likely to land somewhere in the middle.... an expect the worst and hope for the best kind of approach. It saved me a lot of emotional grief when I did have days where I wondered if I'd made the right choice. I count myself among the lucky ones and am thankful for that with every day that passes.

Some folks have a great first few months post-op and suffer some kind of random setback only to go on to a full positive outcome sometime after that first year post-op. Others still feel pain throughout the first year and go on to have full positive outcomes later on as their body figures things out. Others get lucky and ride smoothly through everything while another group unfortunately has issues the entire time due to other factors that were either missed or not properly considered or any number of possibilities.

Each one of us is different.

Keep up whatever post-op plan you've been prescribed, but definitely keep your docs updated on symptoms you get post-op. It could mean altered medication or PT routines or just extra rest.

Keep your chin up!

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!