View Single Post
Old 08-26-2006, 04:41 PM

Thanks to everyone for your concern and helpful ideas. I saw a rheumatologist, but that was 4 years ago when my back problems first started. He did a lot of blood tests then, but that was a long time ago. I really haven't seen any doctors for much of anything except for the backpain. I also had bloodwork done 2 years ago before my ADR surgery, but I am sure that was just a general nonspecific work up.

Can they test for fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome? I thought these were simply diagnosed after ruling out other possible causes. Although I do recall something about trigger points with fibro.

Eddie - Years ago i had tried neurontin, but I didn't like the side effects. This is all the medicine I am taking right now, except that when my pain is especially bad, I add Bromelain to the mix for it's anti inflammatory properties. The fentanyl patch is 100mg every other day switching which side I change - i leave one old patch on. The percocet varies greatly from 1 or 2 a day, to 6 or 7 - depending on the pain levels. My pain is not managed very well, but that is partly my doing. Being able to think clearly and function is very important to me and alot of medicines knock me on my "a _ _". I continue to work from home doing accounting and tax preparation and I can't do that if my mind is all in a fog, so I won't take anything that messes with my head too much. Sometimes I wonder if the sacrafice is worth it or not, but.....I need to earn money if I am going to consider going to Germany and I am just a type A person - not happy unless I am busy.

Cathy - I have been on 75mg Effexor for a little over 2 months now. The doctor chose that one for it's stimulating properties, but it definetely isn't stimulating me. Right now I would swap you for some of that insomina so I could manage to get something done, but I'm sure I would be looking to swap back then. There is only one thing worse than sleeping all the time and not not being able to wake up and that's not being able to go to sleep for a long time.

I had no appetite before being put on the Effexor. When I saw the doctor 2 months ago for the depression, I had lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks. Not that I couldn't' stand to lose a couple pounds, but I go days sometimes without eating and that's not good. I have to force myself to eat and I don't feel good after I do. This has been going on for a long time - I think the pain meds and decreased activity - but not to the extreme of losing 10lbs. in 2 weeks.

As I said, I am scheduled to see my PC on the 12th as a follow up on the Effexor and the depresssion - if I can last that long. This is so frustrating and depressing to me. I will definetely be pushing for a complete work up now that I have talked to all of you. Thanks to all of you.

Oh, and another symptom I didn't mention - upon first getting up, I feel light headed and dizzy for awhile. Figured that was just cause my blood had to get circulating again after being down so long.

I just hope the cause of this is easier to pin point than the cause of all my back pain.